Tuesday 18 October 2011

Autumn days when the grass is jewelled

I like things that are vast... but I also like things that are tiny and intricate in detail.

Last Saturday, after a weekend of cabin fever stuck in the office I went on a new walk.  I went to the canal and decided to see how far I could get in an hour... and I walked straight out of the town.  Past narrow boats, fishermen and locks in motion, past the bridges and, eventually, out into the middle of nowhere.  I reached the next village before my hour was up and I turned round.  As usual I took my camera and recorded what I saw, but my favourite picture wasn't one of my usual panoramics or skyscapes, but this one.  Click on the image to enlarge it.  It's worth it...


It's a tight-knit spiderweb, dew-jewelled under the shadow of a bush.  It almost doesn't look real to me, all those tiny drops lined up like that, only a little surface tension and the strength of a silken line I can barely see to stop them from falling.  I think it's amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment