Saturday 6 August 2011

Two tasters

Just today I got back from a well-earned holiday in the Lake District, so the next few posts will be updates on that.  In the meantime here's a taster...

A sunny day at Wastwater, about 10 mins away from where we were staying.  The day may have been hot enough to leave our skin pink and peeling, but the water was absolutely freezing!

...and a less sunny day on the side of Scafell Pike, England's tallest mountain.  That's my Dad sitting in front of that cloud bank, into which we had to trek as part of our climb.  Fortunately we passed through the cloud layer and were treated to amazing views from the summit.


And below, a taster of another kind.  I have recently discovered how to make meringues!  Far yummier than the shop-bought ones, crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, and much easier to make than I expected, I've been having them with piles of strawberries on top.  However, having no electric mixer and being something of a stubborn food masochist, I had to whisk them all by hand.  Ridiculous? Unnecessary? Yes, maybe, but totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment